Thursday, May 22, 2008

Downtime

So the weather this week has been abysmal and has completely foiled my plans for moving out onto my deck for the week. We even bought new deck furniture, but it's sitting forlornly in the corner, getting soaked by this incessant rain. Maybe when I get back from the beach on Sunday I'll be able to do some jewelry design, painting, drawing or something otherwise crafty/artistic on my deck.

**********************

I haven't gotten my final grade for the semester, but since every grade I got so far was A, I believe it's safe to assume the final grade will follow suit. Allison and Stephanie had two pieces of advice, 1) Write for someone other than engineers (no kidding) and 2) Read more stuff/put more stuff in and especially stuff other than magazines like Lucky, InStyle, et al. GREAT! I wish I had recorded them saying that because the bf is not happy about my continually growing piles of magazines. Tough crap. I don't like his Bart Simpson (EAT MY SHORTS) poster hanging right inside our front door. He can deal with my magazines.

So, in an attempt to follow Stephanie and Allison's advice, I plan to subscribe to the following magazines: Ready Made, Plenty, Wired, CRAFT and Real Simple (I already read this one every month anyway, so I might as well subscribe). And, because I need to get back in touch with writing (real writing, not copywriting), I will also subscribe to either The New Yorker or The Atlantic.

As for the first part of their advice, I need to start pursuing more freelance writing opportunities. I also love creative writing (fiction, literary non-fiction, poetry, etc) and I have a ton of ideas for essays and a novel in progress. I was also a published poet in high school, but I've let too many cobwebs grow over that part of my creative self. What better time than now to dust them off and start again?

1 comment:

Markorama said...

Bart Simpson Poster? That isn't even 1/2 as awesome as the Belushi/Animal House poster that sits the right of my front door.

It really ties the whole room together.